Looking for a kid friendly dentist? There are some dental professionals who choose to place focus on making kids feel comfortable about going to the dental office. This makes it a great idea for parents to find a dentist who is kid friendly, as the goal of the dentist is to offer kids a pleasant…
Severe Toothache Symptoms That Require Emergency Dental Care
You might require emergency dental care if you are dealing with a toothache that is causing excruciating pain. Simply having a toothache does not mean you need an emergency dentist since minor toothaches can be effectively managed with home remedies and over-the-counter toothache products.
Figuring out whether you need emergency dental care
The underlying cause and symptoms of a toothache are what determines whether you need emergency dental care. A toothache is a feeling of pain that originates from or around a tooth. The pain of a toothache varies in severity, and it is often proportional to how significant the issue causing it is.
Toothaches can leave teeth feeling sensitive to hot or cold foods and beverages. They can also make teeth sensitive to sugary items.
Here are some of the signs and symptoms that your toothache requires emergency dental care:
- Persistent, sharp pain: A toothache that refuses to go away and increases in severity might be a sign of a serious oral issue like an abscessed tooth. If the pain is so severe that over-the-counter toothache products have no effect on it, a visit to an emergency dentist is in order
- Pain when pressure is applied to the tooth: Feeling pain when a tooth is touched or used to bite down on something might be a sign of a severe cavity or a faulty restoration. Either issue requires immediate treatment
- Bleeding gums and inflammation: Blood coming from the gums, especially when it is accompanied by swelling, might be a symptom of periodontal disease or an infection
- Weird taste in the mouth: Having a bad taste in the mouth or a bad odor that lingers all day might be a sign a tooth is infected or severely decayed. This can lead to the release of toxins that have an unpleasant taste and smell
- Swollen jaw: Swelling around the neck and jaw areas can be a sign of an infection that is starting to spread to other parts of the body. This is a serious health issue since infection in vital areas like the brain can have life-threatening consequences
Common causes of toothaches that require emergency care
Here are some of the common oral problems that can lead to severe toothaches:
Tooth decay leads to the formation of small holes called cavities on tooth surfaces. These cavities will continue to expand until they compromise the pulp chamber, exposing its contents to bacteria and acids in the mouth. Small cavities only cause minor toothaches, but severe tooth decay leads to persistent toothaches, and the tooth will eventually become infected if left untreated.
Chipped, broken or fractured teeth
Damaged teeth sometimes require emergency treatment if the injury is accompanied by lots of bleeding and intense pain. That is usually a sign the pulp chamber itself has also been damaged. An emergency dentist might treat the tooth by performing a root canal and covering it up with a crown.
An infected tooth often comes with severe toothaches that cannot be ignored. Fortunately, an emergency dentist can provide relief by performing a root canal or, in rare cases, extracting the tooth to stop the infection.
Get the emergency dental care you need
Call or visit our Katy clinic and get the treatment you need to put your toothache behind you.
Check out what others are saying about our services on Yelp: Read our Yelp reviews.
When a person has a missing tooth, one of the quick and affordable options they might consider is a dental bridge. Missing teeth affect daily dental functions and social interactions. This article covers what a dental bridge is, how it works, and how a bridge addresses a gap in the smile due to missing teeth.A…
Did you recently get a smile makeover? A smile makeover can get you the smile you always wished you had. The work does not stop there, though. It is up to you to maintain the results of your smile makeover by taking good care of your mouth. A smile makeover is a combination of cosmetic…
A root canal is a dental procedure that can save an infected, damaged or severely decayed tooth from becoming lost. Root canal therapy is often necessary when other treatment options are not an option. It is important to know the signs that a root canal is necessary to ensure the long-term health of the tooth. When…