Five Important Facts About Periodontal Treatment
Periodontal disease can be a frightening thing. It can lead to a lot of pain and suffering. Thankfully, if you take good care of your oral health, you can prevent it completely.
For people who are worried about contracting periodontal disease, there are some important facts that they should know.
- Arguably one of the most important things to know about periodontal disease is that it is curable. The first step of treatment is cleaning away as much of the infection as possible. This process is called scaling and root planing. this will remove as much plaque and tartar deposits on the surface of your tooth as possible. This procedure will assist your gum tissue to heal and for the periodontal pockets to shrink.
- The medicines that your dentist can choose to utilize for treating periodontal disease could be pills, mouth rinses, or a treatment that is inserted into the periodontal pocket after the cleaning process is completed.
- Surgery for periodontal disease can remove inflamed tissue and reduce damage to your bone which may have formed around the infected area. If the periodontal pocket gets any bigger, it becomes a dangerous place where bacteria can breed and cause further trouble to bone and tissue. With surgery, your dentist can gain access to areas which are otherwise impossible to reach.
- Serious bone damage can be the result of periodontal disease. In this case, bone surgery, or bone grafts, can be utilized for rebuilding or reshaping the bone which has been damaged due to the infection.
- As soft tissue is usually damaged first before bone, soft tissue grafts can be utilized to cover the roots of exposed teeth or to encourage the growth of damaged gum line.
If you have any more questions regarding periodontal disease, please give us a call today.